Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Buzzer-beaters, overtime, overdrive and intrigue theater | - High School Girls Basketball - NJ.com

Buzzer-beaters, overtime, overdrive and intrigue theater | - High School Girls Basketball - NJ.com

Last night is one of those nights you wanna to be in our office (that said, I wasn't even there). But, on a night like the one that unfolded, there is an added buzz as each writer comes back and shares a quick recap from the game he covered.

cranford.jpgCranford's Jess McCoy drives against Amanda McHenry of Somerville during their North Jersey, Section 2, Group 3 final.

But, the downside to hoops season for me is I wanna be at every game at this time of the year. I want see Theresa Krawiec scramble for a loose ball and put up a desperation shot at the buzzer that sends Salem to a victory.

I wanna cling to the edge of my seat during an overtime period, when senior Terry Ely rediscovers a silky touch from the foul line, one that apparently abandoned her during an uncharacteristic stretch, and propels Pascack Valley by Teaneck for its 12th sectional title.

And, I feel cheated for not getting to experience that suspense at New Providence? Clinging to a lead against a University team that gave, at least me, the impression it had all the trimmings to win a Group 1 state title, New Providence never cracked. Instead, it galvinized, even upon the late-game insertion of Laurin Mincy, the three-time Star-Ledger All-State and two-time state Player of the Year, whose 3-point attempt at the buzzer was off the mark, confirming New Providence had scored one of the biggest triumphs in the program's history.


And, did someone say history? You want history. How 'bout Cranford winning its first sectional title since 1974! NINETEEN SEVENTY FOUR!!! It's a story like Cranford that really should make those a little more fortunate in the basketball world stop appreciate the moment. It's been basically a generation since Cranford won one of these. Conversely, it gives people a chance to reflect on some of the dominant figures on the girls hoops season who win sectional titles year in and year out and should provide a better appreciation for just how difficult the task is to achieve.

1974...got me to thinking that most kids haven't a clue what 1974 looked like. I know my sons don't. 1974 to me was Hank Aaron, Happy Days, The Rumble in the Jungle and Watergate....and apparently bad suits. You wanna see what 1974 looked like? I can't believe I'm gonna do this, but this was yours truly in 1974 (left). gregg11.jpgNot sure what look my mom was going for in this one but I think it was during a stage where Match Game and Lets Make a Deal were heavy in her daily viewing rotation. Man, I wish I still had some of that hair. Note: That jacket was retired to the Table Cloth Hall of Fame and the bow tie...pretty sure that was a clip on.

But getting back on point about Cranford and New Providence...Don't you wanna be there for those moments? I love when I stumble into one of them, like I did Monday night, when Chatham put together a comeback that no one associated with the program will soon forget, rallying from six points down with 1:41 left to play to pull out a 47-46 victory. Those are the ones you don't forget and I don't care who your rooting affiliation is with.

canty.jpgYour shutter speed better be fast if you plan on snapping a picture of Trenton Catholic's Briyona Canty (right).I was fortunate to catch Trenton Catholic's Briyona Canty at her finest last night.Her quickness was so excessive going to the basket, it was a miracle she wasn't ticketed for speeding in a school zone. And, her wonderful unselfishness got everyone involved, including sophomore Marquasia Aiken, who lit it up for 24, highlighted by six 3-pointers. Canty's speed was revealed in so many areas...on the boards where she went up and got two touches on the offensive glass before anyone else came back to Earth from trying to grab the first rebound. Her lateral movement on the ball is just unfair when you consider her size and strength. Watching her defend Cardinal McCarrick's guards, Canty looked like she was on roller skates, sliding back and forth and rarely allowing access into the lane. And, her thought process on the ball is utterly ridiculous. She envisions her decisions a good 15-to-20 feet away from where she will eventually act upon it. Roll all those traits up into one, and you can understand how she finished with 21 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists in a 73-54 victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment