Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cranford Patch - Fan-Favorite Miller: 'I Hate Losing'

Cranford Patch - Fan-Favorite Miller: 'I Hate Losing'

Morgan Miller is serious about basketball.

Her year-round dedication to the sport is paying off in a big way. The sophomore was not only a starter for the girls' varsity basketball team this past season, but became an integral part of a state sectional championship squad with her outstanding play. She is this week's Cranford Patch Athlete of the Week.

"Morgan really came into her own this year," said head coach Jackie Huber. "She was a major offensive threat for our opponents. She works very hard year-round and it shows on the court. When we needed points on the board to get our team going, Morgan came through and would get us started."

Miller's numbers were impressive. She led the team in blocked shots with 33, was second with 42 steals, and averaged almost 10 points per game and 4.5 rebounds while leading the team with 40 three-pointers. Her aggressive style on both ends of the floor made her a fan favorite.

"I've always been really competitive, I hate losing," Miller said. "I want to win every time I go out there."

The season couldn't have gone much better for Miller and her teammates. 21 wins and a state sectional title make for great memories.

"I think it was a really good season," Miller said. "We all played really well. It was just great that we were able to make it to the sectional finals like we did last year and actually win it. Few athletes actually get the chance to make it there. I've made it twice already and was able to win one."

And to win with a new starting lineup was even more impressive.

"In the beginning, we all knew we were a young team, so we were a little unsure of how we were going to play, but as the season progressed, it became more evident that we were going to be able to do well."

Miller began playing around the age of 4, following in her sister's footsteps. She started in the recreation league in the third grade, and moved to the Police Athletic League in fifth grade. All along, she's been guided by her dad.

"My dad has been working with me the whole time," Miller said. "He's always supportive and has given me criticism. It's helped me a lot."

Miller gave up soccer, softball and volleyball to pursue the hardwood, and now she plays year round with the New Jersey Panthers AAU team.

"I have practices with my AAU team. And then we have a lot of tournaments especially in July. Then the fall, we have practices and a few tournaments. Two girls from New Providence are on the team and one from Governor Livingston."

With the loss of three starting seniors, Miller will have to step into a leadership role with a young team. Her coach is already a believer.

"I think Morgan will be an excellent leader for us," Huber said. "She has already shown great leadership qualities with her encouraging words and team play."

"I think I just have to be confident and show everyone else that they should be confident as well," Miller said. "It doesn't matter how young you are, you can still be a contributor on the team."

"Morgan is a great player to coach," said Huber. "She always comes in smiling and gives 110 percent each and every day. She will do anything for her team and coaches. I am extremely excited to see what the next two years has to bring for Morgan."

No comments:

Post a Comment