Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cranford Patch - Danielle Gross Named Athlete of the Week

Cranford Patch - Danielle Gross Named Athlete of the Week

Her brother is a budding star for the boys' basketball team. Her dad played for Seton Hall University. So it was only natural that Cranford senior Danielle Gross would find her niche on the hardwood as well.

"I started playing around third grade," said Gross. "My dad played basketball in college, so he's always been a big avid basketball player and wanted all his kids to play basketball. I probably started in the Police Athletic League around fourth grade and I've been playing ever since."

As Gross kept developing her skills, she realized that she had a chance to be a very good player.

"I went to Orange Avenue and was on the school team there," said Gross. "They're playing more competitive teams, teams from other towns. I started to see other talent and could be on their level."

Entering high school Gross had to overcome a bump in the road, and she learned a lot from her dad about desire and determination along the way.

"He's always told me to be really determined," she said. "My freshman year I had back surgery and I almost missed the freshman season. He taught me to just keep trying, keep practicing every day so I would be able to come back and play my freshman year of basketball. He just taught me to be determined and try my hardest. I didn't think I was going to play my freshman year and then I got to play on junior varsity my freshman year and varsity after that. I'm really proud of myself."

Determined to be the best player she can be, Danielle has been on the varsity squad since her sophomore season, picking up every nuance along the way.

"I've definitely become more aggressive. I've been more of a team player. Me and Jamie (Webb) have been playing together since middle school. We both learned how to play with each other."

Four years after entering high school, she is now a team leader, helping to mold the young players who are getting their chance to play in the varsity spotlight.

"We're showing them the ropes," she said. "They're freshman and a little nervous to be on varsity. We're showing them that they're great players, that they can play on our level. Next year, they should be just as good as they are this year."

As for the season, the Lady Cougars are just one win away from the sectional final and a 20-win season. Gross said it's been an amazing ride.

"We're really excited," she said. "We were disappointed in the counties, so we don't want our season to be over yet. This is our last year, so we want to keep going as long as we can."

Gross will be headed to Temple with an eye on a communications degree. She'll be looking to play intramural hoops at the Division 1 school, continuing a sport which has given her so much.

"I'm going to continue playing."

No comments:

Post a Comment