Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cranford Patch - D’Antico Makes the Most of Her High School Career

Cranford Patch - D’Antico Makes the Most of Her High School Career

Anyone who has seen Cranford's Taylor D'Antico play, can instantly see her passion for sports. She is a rare three-sport star and has garnered this week's Cranford Patch Athlete of the Week honor.

The senior just finished up a dream basketball season where the Lady Cougars won 21 games and a state sectional title, their first in 36 years. She already has enough material to fill-up an oversized scrapbook.

"I'd have to say that this season has really made a lot of memories," said D'Antico. "We had a great team and we came out here and did something that nobody expected. This year we have nothing to be ashamed of. We worked really hard and it really shows, especially having that sectional final under our belt. A state title could have been even better. It's bittersweet, but we made history."

As you would figure, though, D'Antico is looking for a little more hardware.

"I'm going into the softball season trying to get just as far as we went last year, the group finals, and we're looking to get there this year, as far as we can and potentially win it all."

D'Antico has played a big role on six championship teams during her high school career so far. Her softball team won the county and conference crowns when she was a sophomore, and added the state sectional title in softball as a junior. And this year was the icing on the cake, capturing the county and conference championships in soccer and the state sectional title in basketball. Now all she needs is another softball trophy to finish out her brilliant career.

"Both my parents were really athletic in high school," D'Antico said. "My mom played softball and played basketball for fun, and my dad was always a really big baseball fan. He was very athletic in high school. He played baseball at Upsala College and actually got recruited for the (Chicago) Cubs, but he tore his rotator cuff, so he was done for his career. My brother Dan plays golf and he played baseball in high school. With all my family's support just to make it here and play all these sports, they've really been motivational and helped me get to where I am today."

While Taylor's brother is set to graduate from Penn State this year, she has her sights set on a soccer career, most likely at Coastal Carolina.

"When I was younger, it was actually funny, because every season I said I liked that sport more than I liked any other sport. Over the years, playing sports more and more, it just happened that soccer popped into the picture and I started to like that one more than any other."

Anyone who has seen D'Antico play, no matter the sport, comes away with the feeling she loves to not only play, but get her hands dirty. Her tough, aggressive style easily makes her a fan favorite.

"I'm a really aggressive person to begin with. I want to get the ball. I will do whatever it takes in order to get it. Scoring points isn't always my thing, scoring baskets or scoring goals in soccer. I'm a defender. I just like going out there. I like winning. I'll do whatever it takes in order to win."

It's hard to ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment